Few prospects are as frightening as the permanent loss of some or all of your vision. Unfortunately, that prospect is all too realistic for individuals who allow certain eye diseases to go untreated. These diseases can produce irreversible damage that only gets worse the longer it goes without proper care. The good news is that Prudhomme Vision in South Windsor, CT offers eye disease management that can help you hang onto the precious gift of sight.
Common Eye Diseases: Symptoms and Causes
Many eye diseases tend to be both chronic in nature and extremely subtle in the ways they sneak up you. This causes many people to assume that everything is all right — which may why nearly 3 million Americans suffer from low vision and a further 1.3 million are considered blind. Common eye diseases to watch for include:
- Cataracts – Age, steroid use, and diabetes are common causes of this lens cloudiness. Symptoms include light sensitivity, poor night/color vision, blurring of vision, and strange halo-like patterns around light sources.
- Glaucoma – Glaucoma is usually caused by high pressure inside the eye related to poor drainage of the eye’s internal fluid. Most cases of glaucoma cause gradual vision loss, starting with peripheral vision.
- Macular Degeneration – Macular degeneration is progressive damage in the macula of the retina. This may cause distortions of straight lines and, eventually large blank areas in your central vision.
- Diabetic Retinopathy – Uncontrolled diabetes damages the blood vessels of the macula and retina, causing gradual and permanent vision loss similar to that of macular degeneration.
- Dry Eye – Dry eye is caused by wind, excessive computer use, contact lenses, oil gland blockages, and age-related or medical conditions. It causes gritty, red, irritated eyes and vision problems.
Eye Disease Screening, Diagnosis, and Management from Our Optometry Team
Our optometry team urges you to get regular eye exams so we can screen for and detect eye diseases early. We have a variety of imaging and testing devices to help us catch dangerous conditions before they can do too much damage. We can then provide treatments such as:
- Vision correction and surgery co-management for cataracts
- Medical to control fluid pressure in glaucoma sufferers
- Nutritional/lifestyle recommendations and injectable drugs to help control macular degeneration
- Recommendations for diabetes control and medical intervention to minimize the damage of diabetic retinopathy
- Eye drops, lifestyle changes, and recommendations for treating the underlying causes of dry eye
Call Our South Windsor Eye Clinic Today
Serious eye diseases demand serious attention, so take advantage of the eye disease management options at Prudhomme Vision. Call our South Windsor eye clinic today at (860) 644-3364 for an exam!